Saturday, April 20, 2019

Easter Show and Pho

Saturday:

We went to the Easter Show yesterday. We watched some interesting stuff in the main arena - I was going to say agricultural displays but mostly it wasn’t! - like motorcyclists doing stunts, cattle dogs rounding up cattle, horsemen stabbing balloons at a gallop (simulating WWI combat), gymnasts doing tricks on horseback, and wood chopping competitions; bought Show bags and nougat; looked at prize-winning art and flower displays; and tried lots of free food samples. It was a good day.

Last Wednesday I didn’t have anything interesting for lunch so I wandered over to a nearby Vietnamese restaurant. I didn’t realise it only served Pho - noodle soup with your choice of meat - but that sounded ok so I ordered the beef. Yuk. Bland yet unpleasant. I ate only a little, went back to work and had my scorned sandwich. Next day the library team decided to go to lunch together as it was the last day of term and decided to go to... a Pho restaurant. A different more popular one that we had to drive to. Twice as expensive, only slightly better. I tried the chicken this time. Everyone else seemed to love it. I kept quiet and ate maybe a quarter of my small serve. All I could taste was coriander, which I don’t like. I kept thinking about my delicious Tim-made risotto sitting abandoned in the work fridge. Oh well.

Sad to say I don’t seem to like Korean either, going by a recent experience. Yet I enjoy Chinese, Thai and Malaysian, as well as many other culture’s foods - Mexican is my favourite. I like spices, but not many herbs. Coriander is just nasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment