Sunday, June 24, 2018

Library Thing

Monday:

This morning my weight was 71.7 kg, up more than a kg from last week, but I think this is a false high due to a salty meal at a restaurant on Saturday night. I was around 71.1 kg most of the week, so I'm back up to my plateau weight. I'm not feeling any real urgency about losing weight. I have a lot of nice clothes that look good and I feel quite healthy. But nevertheless I would be healthier another 10 kg or more lighter, so I'll be a bit more focussed.

I'm working on another job application. The last one (that I haven't heard back from yet, and actually I don't want the current job as it's too far away and full time but hopefully I will be on the Order of Merit for future part-time/closer positions with that employer) wasn't too stressful because I wasn't desperate to get it, although of course I did want to impress. But this current one could hardly be more my "perfect job" if I wrote the description myself. Close to home, part time, my favourite duties - cataloguing. I really really want it! I fulfil the "essential" requirements but not the "desired" - like 3 years experience! So my application needs to be enticing to even get an interview. Then I have to convince them in person that recent classroom training is as good as workplace experience. I did get 99.6% in the relevant subject!

I've also been playing with a website/app called Library Thing. It keeps a record of all the books you own (you can scan in the barcodes) and it downloads information like title/author, reviews from the web, and cover art; it's a social platform so you can interact with other people who have similar book collections. It can be as simple or librarian-level complex (like Dewey Decimal numbers) as you like. You can record your own tags, ratings, reviews, put books on your waiting list to read, record when you finished reading it, all sorts of things. You can even set up a mini library site to record people borrowing your books! I need that, we never get ours back from family. I've been scanning our collection in, I'm up to over 1000 books which is probably about two thirds of what we own. Some older books don't have barcodes or even ISBNs so they take longer to type in, and then of course adding ratings and reviews takes much longer when I get to that. Plenty to keep me busy.

I've been sorting and weeding/culling (and dusting) as I go so the bookshelves I have finished look lovely. We have quite a few rows doubled up - books in front of other books - so we've decided nine big bookcases (plus little ones in the kids' rooms) isn't enough. Most are in what other people would use as a dining room. I think we can squeeze two more in the lounge room.

My sister-in-law was here for dinner last night, we were wearing the same pants and I realised I owned an almost-identical jumper so I went and put it on - and my Ugg boots. Twins!


No comments:

Post a Comment