Sunday, March 22, 2020

Changing fast

Monday:

Things are changing fast here in Australia. The federal government has closed all non-essential places that people might get together and break the social distancing guidelines; like restaurants and gyms. Our Prime Minister was very cranky that people were still going to the beach on the weekend, and closed Bondi. And although he still says that he wants schools to stay open so that parents in essential jobs (like health) can work, the state Premiers both here and in a couple of other states have decided to partially defy that. Schools are still open for children who need supervision, but we have been asked to keep children home from tomorrow if possible. They will be doing their learning online - even the ones sitting in classrooms (as far apart as possible).

I have not yet heard whether my TAFE (adult education) will also close but I am guessing it will now or soon. Some subjects had already changed to online. I only had two weeks left anyway, and I doubt they'll need me in the library again until this is all over so I'll stay home with the kids. There are suggestions that it will be for 6 months but no one really knows. I'm home sick today with sore throat and headache although overall I feel better than on the weekend. No way I'd go to work with flu-like symptoms! My husband is a government lawyer and might be considered essential - he can't work from home due to the potentially sensitive information he handles. At least the trains are getting less crowded as other people stay home.

My concern in regard to my own health is not for Covid-19, but that I was supposed to have a colonoscopy soon to check for bowel cancer. I am still seeing blood. I don't know if the test will be postponed due to resources being needed elsewhere. And even if I do get tested, if I have cancer this would be a terrible time to have an impaired immune system.

The supermarkets all suspended their home delivery services because the shortages made it too difficult, but they are going to have to ramp it up a lot if we are all supposed to stay inside. Apparently freezers are sold out everywhere as people stock up. I have two fridge/freezers, one mainly used at Christmas, but neither are very large. We probably have food for two weeks if we get inventive. We'll run out of fresh fruit and vegetables in a few days though, so hopefully it won't come to complete isolation.

At least we are well provisioned in the computer/TV/games/books areas. And we have a backyard we can get fresh air in without being near anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment