Friday, December 17, 2010

W25 D6 - bicycle

We bought the kids new bicycles for Christmas this year and decided to get me one as well. I have not ridden a bike since I was a teenager, so I was very nervous. I am also scared of heights - yes, even that low to the ground! The smallest adult bike they had still seemed too big to me, so they built me an "extra small" model and it was ready today. The shop was only a 20 min walk away so to save taking it apart to put in the car I walked up there then pushed/rode it back.

I pushed it most of the way as it was in the middle of shops and traffic. No way I was riding on the road! When we got to the quiet streets near home I rode on the footpath. Very wobbly at first, but once I got going it was great. Even though I was going quite slowly, it is very fast for little effort when compared to walking. After only about 200m I had to cross a street so I stopped. And fell over. I hit quite hard with my knee and both hands on rocks and weeds. Later I saw my knee was bleeding under my jeans. What amazes me, and I am very grateful for it, is that it didn't hurt my sore shoulder much. I would have expected much worse.

I pushed the bike over the street and then (and for this I am so proud of myself) I got back on and rode the rest of the way home except for a steep bit. It was only a couple of blocks but it was my first ride in 20 years. Now the bike is put away for a week, until Christmas. I can see myself really enjoying riding, once I get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment