Saturday, November 9, 2019

Teenager

Sunday:

My baby turned 13 today. I can’t believe I am the parent of two teenagers! He went with his friends to Underworld Laser (one of those places you run around in the dark shooting at each other) then they came back here for a pool party. We hadn’t been in the pool yet this year (I still haven’t), we’ve had some very hot days but not on the weekend or when the water was clean and balanced. And then it gets cold again. We got the water temp up to 24C today (I prefer around 30) with the solar heater and the boys seemed quite happy to jump in.

Now they’re inside playing “Cards against humanity” in the next room and it’s hilarious but I feel a bit worried other parents wouldn’t approve. They are all only 13. You play cards with phrases on them in combinations to be as funny as possible - often offensive or very rude. “I’m going on a cleanse this week, nothing but kale juice and ....” and then you pair that with “autocannibalism” or “Lance Armstrong’s missing testicle” or whatever card from your hand you think will be funniest. So much laughter! So inappropriate! There is one boy who doesn’t know what quite a few of the words mean, I’m quite proud of Aiden for being able to explain them sensibly.

There will be a lull after they go, then I’ll start preparing for a family dinner for 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment