Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Mind tricks

Tuesday:

My brain was weird today. There was a product I’d seen a couple of times and was considering buying (ok, it was another handbag, but that isn’t relevant to the story) and this morning I decided to look at it online. I couldn’t find it on the maker’s website, or the website of the department store where I’d seen it. I was very sure of the brand (which had other bags quite similar) and could picture exactly what it looked like but I didn’t know the name of the specific item (they give them names like  “conscience”, “Angela”, or “splendiosa”).

I tossed my net further afield. Maybe the range had been superseded and that’s why it wasn’t for sale any more. Different online stores, Amazon, scrolled through over 2800 items on eBay, joined Pinterest. Nothing. Didn’t exist. Had never existed. But I’d seen it, touched it, in person! At the most a couple of months ago, probably less. I wasn’t giving up now, after about three hours of searching. I called the maker’s nearest store, as the experts. Nope. She doubtfully pointed me towards the most similar items, looked though their recent range, nothing like I described.

I have come to the conclusion I mashed together a bag from that maker and some features from a completely different brand. But the scary thing is I was so sure! I can still see it in my mind.

I’ve seen a demonstration (maybe on an old Oprah episode) testing a group of bystanders after a “thief” ran past chased by the shouting “victim”. Many of the bystanders couldn’t describe the thief accurately - and a lot of them mentioned features of the victim instead! Or if another person suggested something they would agree, even though it was false. 'Memories' are easily implanted. Humans are so unreliable.

No comments:

Post a Comment