Thursday, January 13, 2022

Real face

 After a slight relapse I am now feeling recovered from Covid - so I was sick for 12 days. I still have a occasional wheezy cough but feel fine. My sore feet are also much better, perhaps due to a combination of stretches and then complete rest while I was sick, so yesterday my podiatrist gave me the all-clear to exercise again (gently). Is that good or bad news?? It was funny, I hadn't ever seen him without a mask but yesterday we were chatting about his strong Scottish accent (which isn't a problem for me as my best friend in primary school had a Scottish father and I got used to it, new people couldn't understand a word he was saying!) and he said older deafer people sometimes struggled and he had to take his mask off so they could see his lips move, he pulled it down for a second and he didn't look at all as I'd thought! I hadn't realised I had imagined a face for him, but apparently I had because his actual face was a surprise. 

Jasmine gets her HSC results in a week so that is exciting and stressful. All her friends are going to Wollongong University but it doesn't teach Occupational Therapy so she's applied to Sydney, and it needs quite a high mark. If she doesn't get that she's already been accepted into easier courses in several Unis but hasn't decided what she will actually do if she doesn't get her first choice. 

It has rained so much here, all spring and summer. It's the middle of summer, in Australia, and we've used the swimming pool twice. Warm but rarely hot, and so humid. 

Sorry, not much to talk about in these days of pandemicness. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're getting better. We've had it in the house here too, it's so strange: the ones here who had it in March got the absolute mildest symptoms, just a scratchy throat, slight cough, never got sick with this. The other three of us here, who weren't sick last March, got the whole nine yards: fever, night sweats, cough, loss of taste and smell...but our lungs remained clear (good news!), and we recovered fine, except I still cannot taste or smell, and the lingering sinus issues aren't finished with me yet...it is an awful illness, but this new variant is somewhat a blessing, being milder. Hoping if we get it again in the future, we will also have milder cases. We have supply issues here too, but still have been mostly able to get what we need, the prices are creeping up though...seeing your doctor's face: so funny, the mask does change the look, I wonder the effect on small children, growing up not seeing faces...
    Della

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting thought Della - growing up without seeing faces - or not many anyway. Last year in a lull between pandemic waves I went to a one-year-old relative's birthday party. She'd literally only seen her parents and grandparents (I guess at some point a doctor or nurse too) her whole life. Not even with masks on, no visitors at all (in the country with a big yard and no near neighbours even). Her little eyes were so big as she stared at us.

      Delete