Friday, January 7, 2022

Shortages

Tim and the kids seem completely recovered from Covid-19, and I am finally feeling on the mend. My last few days have been mainly runny nose and headache from my clogged sinuses. Pain under my eyebrows! And general tiredness. But a lot better today. One of the weirder symptoms linked to Omicron was bad night sweats. I've been having night sweats on and off for years due to peri-menopause, but these were really bad. Every single night of 2022 I've woken once or twice drenched in sweat and have to change my pjs (washing every day to keep up) and still feel yuck until I could shower without waking everyone else. Last night I still woke but only a light sweat, I didn't even bother to change! 

I gave up on ever getting a PCR test, the queues were so long they turned us away each time, and can't get hold of an RA test online either. I was supposed to get a pack delivered today but I've just been informed they are out, although they were in stock when I ordered days ago. We made plans a while ago for the whole family to go to Queensland soon for a holiday (not MY plans, I thought they were crazy even though Delta was easing at the time and Omicron hadn't arrived yet) and we need at least a negative RA test get on a plane to cross the state border. I'm doing my best to find some, but I refuse to invest myself emotionally in the holiday plans as I think it's likely we won't be able to go. Queensland has a history of closing it's borders, although to be fair they haven't yet despite very high case numbers. I'm not wet-blanketing it but I'm just internally shrugging and not getting my hopes up. Of course it would be lovely if we can go, and stay at SeaWorld for a week and go to the beach and restaurants and everything. How long since I've left the house?

I've had to order groceries online as we're in isolation, but there is very little on the shelves. So many people are either sick or in isolation that the shops have supply chain issues. Either the item is "out of stock" when you browse the virtual shelf, or at checkout you're informed what you thought you snaffled you actually can't have, or else on delivery day they have run out. Last time delivery was next day, this week delivery in three days. They are really struggling to keep up. Last week the only fresh meat I could get was a chicken. This morning I got the updated delivery list and the only thing I seem to have ended up with today is half a leg of lamb. Starting to envy doomsday preppers with freezers full of food! Fruit and vegetables are very scarce too, I don't know if they have anyone to pick them. (There was whole watermelon for sale. $34 each. I didn't get one.) Have ordered juice for the vitamins, though even that was tricky to find a brand not rejected at checkout. We won't starve, we can always order pizza or something and we've got plenty of pantry staples like pasta and rice, but it's not the same as real fresh food. I'm really hoping that by Monday I'll at least be able to go and rummage through the shops myself. My sister-in-law dropped off a meal and friends sent us a food gift basket which was lovely.  

Aside from just feeling ill, I haven't done much. It's been warm but rainy, very humid, so I haven't even been going out into the backyard. I felt well enough for a family board game yesterday, hopefully we'll be able to do more of that. It's been a couple of weeks of us all in separate rooms playing computer games, watching TV, or napping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment