Monday, January 3, 2022

Tasteless

The first two days of Covid19 for me were sore throat, head and body aches and exhaustion. Yesterday it moved into a new phase of coughing up the lining of my throat (or that is what it feels like), runny nose, and loss of taste and smell. Strong foods still have some taste - vegemite, pepperoni - but other things I've tried so far I haven't been able to eat they were just so unappetising. And I can't drink my beloved tea, tasteless yet cloyingly milky (I have the tiniest splash of milk). It makes me sad and grumpy, food is usually my friend, but on the other hand I'm already losing weight so there is that.

I haven't actually been tested, I've dragged the kids out of bed twice to go to a drive through clinic but were turned away each time as they were too busy already. Rapid antigen tests are sold out everywhere online. I have all the symptoms tho and am living with a confirmed positive so I'm just going to assume. 

Tim has been sleeping on the daybed in the loungeroom to isolate, but since we became 99.9% certain I have it there didn't seem any point to that so he came back to our bed last night. Didn't last long, with me coughing up a lung every few minutes. He snuck away back to the loungeroom. 

Tim is starting to feel better so I can look forward to that, I am a few days behind him. Aiden seems to be in an earlier phase, and we're not sure about Jasmine. She has a runny nose but nothing else, and she's been trying really hard to isolate from us. She desperately wants to be able to go back to acrogym next week. Half the family members who were here at Christmas are also sick and have now tested positive, although they tested negative when Tim first got sick. 

I've ordered groceries online to arrive today, the only other time I tried that was just before Christmas and it was a bit of a disaster, arriving 5 hours late and with meat due to expire the next day. But I don't have a lot of choices. The virtual shelves were half-empty and then when I got to checkout there were warnings about even more things being unavailable so I'll see what turns up. I think a chicken was the only meat I ended up with. I guess ordering on a public holiday during a pandemic isn't an ideal time. I'll try again in a couple of days. Case numbers are bad, and that doesn't even include all the people turned away from the testing clinics, so a lot of people are sick or in isolation and can't work. Food isn't really a problem, we can always order take-away but none of us are hungry anyway. 

I binged a great show called Smash, about making musical theatre. Like Glee with grownups. Great music and dance numbers, personal dramas. Just finished season one, luckily there is a season two. As a family we've started watching Witcher season one whenever we're all up to being out of bed, I like it but if I didn't have Aiden to explain the completely unexplained timelines decades apart I would be hopelessly confused. And I watch cricket, mainly to nap to as it helps me go to sleep. 

Reading an awesome fantasy series I got for Christmas by Naomi Novik starting with A Deadly Education. It's set in a school for magic but it's nothing like Harry Potter (which I also loved of course). Very inventive. 

2 comments:

  1. I think we have it in our house too, as an older daughter (who doesn't live here and came to visit) tested positive last week, now several of us are sick...sneezes and coughing, fevers, aches...it's not fun. Testing is rather difficult here in NY too, with long lines, and no at home tests to be found...hope you and Tim recover quickly, it's no picnic. My husband had it last March, and I somehow never got it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done not catching it last year then! No, not fun. I am very glad that our vulnerable family members were not able to come to Christmas and so missed out on catching it.

      Delete