Wednesday, December 6, 2017

#metoo

Thursday:

I forgot to say that my weight Monday morning was 76.0 kg, which is up another 0.3 from the 75.7 the week before BUT the mornings since then have been 75.5, 75.6 and 75.4 kg so I think the 76 was an outlier that can be ignored. If I look at the following three days I'm actually down a little bit since last week.

In light of the Time magazine person of the year being the #metoo movement (or so I read), I will tell a #metoo story of my own though I don't really like thinking about that kind of thing. It was late-ish at night, I took a taxi alone from a group gathering in the city to the train station. I was a Uni student at the time, so around 20 years old. I don't really like being in the city at night but felt safe once I got in the taxi. I got in the front seat, which seemed normal to me then. I don't do that anymore. The driver was male, maybe in his 30s. I asked him to take me to the train station. Once the car was under way, he put his hand on my arm and suggested he could drive me all the way home instead. I was terrified. I said I didn't have enough money for that. He suggested money wouldn't be a problem, I don't recall the exact words but it was clear he was offering to drive me home in return for sex. It is not in my nature to react aggressively to confrontation, and also I was scared of what he would do if I was 'rude'. He was a man, much stronger than me and older, and in control of a moving vehicle. I stayed extremely polite, said no thanks, the station was fine, just the station, probably shaking and stuttering. I tried to memorise his details from the licence hanging on the dashboard. He tried to convince me but ended up dropping me at the station.

He was not verbally threating and I'm pretty sure now he wouldn't have done anything without my consent but I felt completely powerless. I considered throwing myself from the taxi when we were stopped at the lights. I said 'no thanks, just take me to the station' several times but in quite a weak polite way. I did not wrench my arm away from the contact, I didn't know what to do. I was scared to make him angry. And I was scared to get out of the taxi in a random location in the city at night, would I be any safer? Should I get out? Would he make me get out if I was 'rude'? But was he going to drive me somewhere of his own choice? I didn't know the city well, couldn't even be sure he was taking me to the station. I had no power, so scared, trying to make plans of what to do if...

When I got home I told my older brother. He was of the opinion that the taxi driver was just offering, he hadn't hurt or threatened me, and how else was he supposed to pick up girls or find out if they were willing to exchange services for sex unless he asked them? And I hadn't strongly told him to piss off so I was giving mixed messages. The driver hadn't really done anything wrong. Not the response I was hoping for. But pretty common male thinking apparently. I can see that side of it, but it seems they can't see what it's like to get an offer like that in a situation of such power imbalance. If I was in a club surrounded by friends and other people it would have been a different thing (although the touching would still be creepy); but alone, when and where it happened was very threatening because I had no way to get away from him or control where we went and no friends to defend me. I did try to complain to the taxi company but nothing ever happened, I can't remember now if I wasn't able to remember the driver's details or if they just never got back to me.

Well that took longer than I expected to write.

10 comments:

  1. Natalie, this story was upsetting to read, so I can just imagine your anxiety and fear. I would have felt the same way. This driver was completely out of line, his behavior was totally unprofessional and inappropriate. I don't care what his reasons were. There is no reason that would ever justify his behaviour to me. Sorry, I don't agree one bit with your brother. His thinking is not unique. Many men feel that way. But they are wrong. Dead wrong. A woman should never be made to feel unsafe and uncomfortable. We shouldn't be touched or intimidated. We should be treated with respect and dignity. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I have had #metoo situations in my life. I don't think there's a woman I know that hasn't. That says a lot about our society. I'm hoping that with women courageously speaking up there will be a cultural shift. Even if it takes a long time, we need to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. I was surprised how upset it made me to write about this, considering it was more than 20 years ago and I ended up getting away safely.

      Delete
  2. Martha sent me. That man had no business touching you. I would have been very upset if I had been in that situation. These things are so shocking that it's hard to know what to do. I don't want to be unkind about your brother, but he was wrong. Totally wrong.

    Love,
    Janie Junebug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie, Hi. Yeah, my brother isn't the most socially aware guy anyway, I shouldn't have expected anything else from him (sad huh) but he was probably the only one home and awake when I needed someone to talk to.

      Delete
  3. Surprised at your brother's lack of support, or 'common male thinking' as you surmised. Visiting from Martha's blog. Stay strong Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, I know not all men think like that. My husband doesn't!

      Delete
  4. Thank God that he did not dare more than his words my friend!

    such incidents are common everywhere and such men need to learn lessons from their victims who must be kready for such horrible situations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks baili I am glad it was no worse. I hope the world will get better with people speaking up.

      Delete
  5. I came over from Martha's too. Thank you for writing this. It was hard to read for my own reasons. I'm sorry your brother did not have your back. I wonder if his views have changed? I'm glad you got away safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi e, yes it can be hard reading and thinking about this stuff when you have your own story. I don't think my brother has changed, he learned it from our dad. Another #metoo story I have is that when I was about 14 my uncle (by marriage, married to dad's sister) came into my bedroom and made some comments that made me very uncomfortable. Never happened again or went any further, I was scared and got out of the room very quickly and joined other people. Anyway I told my dad and he said something like "he didn't mean anything, he's a good bloke". Not much support there. My dad would have done anything for me... except believe something bad of his friend.

      I guess we have to look after ourselves.

      Delete