Sunday, December 29, 2013

Sugar

Sunday:

I've often said that I don't really have a problem with sugar (I have other issues, of course) and it doesn't particularly tempt me. Over the several-day family hop that is Christmas I had a lot more sugar than usual; desserts, nibbles between meals, and worst of all soft drink (fizzy, sugary stuff - I think Americans call it soda).

I don't even know why I drank it, I can't stand the stuff. So sweet and cloying. But it was mostly what was offered and I was too lazy to get up and get myself a glass of water, I guess. With that plus juice at breakfast I had gone from zero sweet drinks to four or five a day. By lunchtime on Boxing Day I could actually feel it sluggishly filling up my bloodstream, it was making me feel physically sick. So I vowed not to have any more, and I didn't.

But since then, whether from the liquid sugar or just the general treat-fest, I have been craving sugar. I've eaten most of the little treats from my two Christmas stockings, even the ones I don't like and couldn't believe I was eating them. Peppermint candy canes in particular have become irresistible. I can see this is going to take a bit of work. Getting back to normal after Christmas isn't as easy as I expected.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny how sugar can get its hooks into you like that. For me, one day a week treat is no big deal, but having sugar repeatedly like you did and I fall into the same boat. It's bizarre really, isn't it? Up the protein if you can for a while, and it'll actually help counter it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your opinion about the book! I try to be informed about the information I'm getting, so knowing what lies behind the message is equally important as actually getting the message!

    I don't particularly crave sugar either, but once I'm down that path it gets harder and harder to turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sugar is addictive and poisonous.
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/sugar/cohen-text

    ReplyDelete