Thursday, August 23, 2018

Handbags

Thursday:

I’ve always been a person who owned only one handbag. When it wore out, after maybe five years or so, I’d buy a replacement. Always a smallish over-the-shoulder style, reasonable quality (ie real leather) but nothing too pricey. I wasn’t much into fashion, and who wants to transfer all their stuff from one bag to another all the time? If I could get away with it, I'd shove keys, phone and a credit card in my pockets and go without a bag at all, or if I needed to carry a lot I'd use a backpack.

Suddenly I’m reading fashion magazines (and giggling quite a bit at the ridiculous things that surely no-one would ever wear), watching Project Runway, and buying multiple handbags. I own five! I know that is nothing to some people, but it’s a multitude to me. Still nothing pricey, I can’t justify spending $500 (or $5000!) but maybe I’ll get to that stage eventually.

It started with needing new clothes and shoes because I was returning to the workplace. And because I’d lost weight, I looked better trying things on than I had for more than ten years. My nice aqua handbag was still good, but I decided I needed a larger bag as well, and used that while in work placement. It was black, so a couple of weeks ago I bought a more summery blue and white one for variety. Then yesterday I bought a small vibrantly purple shoulder bag - and because a second bag purchase was half price also got a cute black one with gold bees on it 🐝. Five bags!
Maybe I need a pink one...

I’ve solved the ‘transferring things’ problem by putting essentials in a little mesh insert, so I only have to move that with my wallet and keys each time instead of a mess of small items.

Is it normal to match your clothes to the handbag you want to use instead of the other way around?

No comments:

Post a Comment