Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sunday dinner

Sunday:

Today we put up the new artwork and did some more unpacking. I've finished the kitchen now. Gradually working our way through the house from front to back. We still have the kids bedrooms to finish and the big one - the study/rumpus.

Nick, Ping and little Emma came over for our new regular Sunday family dinner (grandad is away this weekend). Everything went well except for when Emma was saying "mine, mine" and I said "actually that is mine" as I took it away (she'd already damaged it). Boy that kid can scream! She's not really used to being said "no" to. We've had a slightly rocky relationship ever since I wouldn't let her stick her finger in a pencil sharpener.

Last weekend they made a yummy mango dessert but then poured sweetened condensed milk all over it. So sweet! I only had a couple of bites. This weekend I did home-made unsweetened Greek yoghurt with mango pieces in it (and a chocolate ball on top) and I think they found it a bit tart. The mango made it sweet enough for me. And yet they have their tea with no sugar, and I can't give up my little bit! It's what you're used to, I guess.

Tim and his brother want to take us all camping next weekend. I didn't go last time a year or more ago, and really don't want to go this time but feel like I should. I don't find anything appealing about camping. What is there to like? Horrible beds, mosquitoes and flies and spiders (remember this is Australia!), no respite from the weather, camp food. The kids are all excited about campfire potatoes (yuck) and burned marshmallows (yuck) and kayaking (hurts my damaged shoulders). Sounds like a weekend of misery and torture to me. I would be happy to stay home and let them all go like last time, but for some reason they want me to go and are making all these allowances for me, like an air conditioned cabin so I get a proper bed and a lockable door, while they stay in tents. So I feel like I have to go. What a waste of a weekend. Since I've agreed to go, I will now endeavour to change my mindset and look forward to happy times, and try not to ruin everyone's fun with my grumpy resentful attitude. At least the weather is supposed to be good. Anyone got any nice things to say about camping?

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had something good to say about camping but I've never gone. My husband, on the other hand, went many times in his youth. He loved it. I guess it's just not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a Venturer (older version of Boy Scout) in my youth and camped a couple of times then. Some bits were fun but nowadays I'd rather be home with my own bed and my own kitchen (and TV, and internet!) and just go on day trips to see things.

      Delete
  2. I'm in my 60's and absolutely love camping! A month ago I returned from a 7,000 mile 7 week camping trip and would go again in a minute. We live in the US and saw many stunningly beautiful national parks and also quite a few state parks. We slept in canyon lands, rain forests, redwood forests and the desert. We traveled through many mountain ranges and along the entire Pacific coast of the U.S. They make wonderful camping air mattresses these days and we had a little portable potty in the tent (really just a toilet seat and a trash bag. Most of our meals were cooked on our camp stove, although we did eat an average of one meal every two days in a restaurant. Maybe camping in just something you either love or you hate? I'm looking forward to returning to the desert, which I fell in love with. And we have mapped out future cross-country camping trips, although they'll have to wait a few years since I've just taken a new job. I hope you'll be surprised and enjoy your camping experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I guess I just like my home comforts.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely despised camping! The one thing I think you could look at as a positive though is how much your family wants you there. As Aiden and Jasmine grow up, they will have good memories of the family time together.

    You are also showing them how to push past your comfort zone. I think that's really a good example to set for kids. If nothing else, you are being a good sport Natalie!

    The whole experience can be made more tolerable with smore's. Lot's and lots of smore's! Not sure if these are popular in Australia but they are graham crackers with hershey bars and melted marshmallows. You put the chocolate bar on the graham cracker then let the kids melt the marshmallow (supervised of course) over the fire.

    ReplyDelete