Sunday, January 13, 2013

Verti-cool challenge

Monday:

I was feeling a lot better yesterday evening and woke up today completely back to normal. Shopping with the kids in the morning and some JD4 in the afternoon when I found out I maybe wasn't 100%. I had to push myself to do a lucklustre half an hour, but at least I did it.

I'm quite excited about an event coming up in March, the Verti-Cool Tower Race. It is a charity race (Camp Quality for kids with cancer) up the 403 step of the Telstra Tower here in Canberra. The ultimate Challenge participants run up Black Mountain first (the tower is on top of the mountain, Telsta is a telecommunication provider) but I am not ready for that this year!

Going up stairs is one of the exercises I quite like. I've always liked Body Step ("like" being a relative term, of course) and just going up stairs is good too. I've thought about incorporating it before but my problem is I don't have any steps to climb. I work from home so I don't have access to an office building. I know of a couple of outdoor places that have stairs but not so great for training in the middle of a heatwave and also it they are only about one flight high so not ideal for training for a 403 step continuous climb. Better than nothing for cooler days, and the kids could play in the park at the bottom while I go up and down. The gym has one flight of stairs indoors which I plan to use if I can't find anywhere else, but I can't use that during school holidays unless I can get someone to mind the kids (they don't do Club Gecko anymore). I would really love somewhere indoors and at least three or four flights high.

I've already called Telstra Tower and been told their stairwell is not available for practice runs.

I have a bit over two months to get ready -- ten weeks actually. I'll need to get my cardio fitness up quite a bit.

I'm a bit frustrated that I no longer seem to be able to upload pictures to my blog, I have no idea why or what has changed. Telstra Tower is pretty iconic, it looks like a giant spike, and I would love to show a picture.

So, anyway, I'm going to ask around and see if anyone has any ideas about where I can find some stairs to climb. I wanna do this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment