Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Yoga

Wednesday:

I've tried three different yoga sessions in the past couple of weeks. The first one just came on TV at lunchtime when I was channel surfing so I tried it out. I enjoyed the initial deep breathing but then they quickly got into floor work that my damaged shoulders couldn't handle. I can't twist them much or support my own weight for long, and they were doing a plank and curving their back.

So I borrowed a "Yoga for Kids" DVD from my library. It was clearly copied over from an old video tape, really poor quality, but I sat through the poxy song and the clowns making balloon animals and the kids getting face-painted and some information scrolled across the screen about how great yoga is. Then I tried skipping ahead a bit. Penguins. Penguins walking around on the snow, penguins swimming. Voice-over about how cute they are. I gave up. So I don't know if you can call that an attempt at yoga, I didn't actually do any!

Another DVD from the library, a yoga for relaxation and stress relief one. Sat through the introductory chat, luckily not too long this time. Enjoyed the relaxing deep breathing (although I was a bit worried because the instructor was sitting outside and I could see her shoulders and chest were a bit sunburned already) but then she quickly went into shoulder contortions. My arms are fine to the front or to the sides (as long as I don't have to support weight) but I can't lift them straight up or behind my back (can't do up my own bra, which is very inconvenient).

I feel like I am getting old and creaky and I need yoga for flexibility, but with my shoulder injuries I just can't even attempt most of the exercises. I don't expect to be like the instructor straight away, but I can't even begin to do most of the poses. If anyone knows a good beginner DVD or has any other ideas I love to hear them. I feel like if I could start gently my shoulders, and the rest of my joints, would improve, but it's hard to even begin. I prefer to be standing or sitting on a chair, no floor work.

I guess I'll keep on with walking and dancing. My legs still work great, thank goodness!

1 comment:

  1. If you have a chance to go to a class, the instructor can help you modify poses to keep from hurting your shoulders and possibly give you some to help increase your range of motion, if possible. You can also check out Melissa West on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNzYcdg3bBmC5eHOSQXzisA She has over 200 free yoga videos and many are for beginners and very gentle.

    ReplyDelete