Thursday, January 9, 2014

School holidays

Thursday:

Tim is back at work this week and the kids are at home. Our daily pattern has been that I do some reading for the Aurealis Awards in the morning (running out of time to get that finished!) while my children play very nicely together - I am very lucky that my children get along well and enjoy each other's company. Or not "lucky" so much. I chose great genes for them by marrying my husband and then we are both wonderful parents, or I have to assume so from the way our kids have turned out! Lately they have spent a lot of time pretending to be puffles, whatever kind of creature that may be.

Then after lunch we have some kind of outing. We saw "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" the other day, yesterday went to the library then a big outdoor playground at the Arboretum, today we went to an indoor playground with giant slides and a jumping castle and ball pit and all that kind of stuff. First we stopped off at the uni library and I borrowed the Biology textbook I'll be using this year so I read that for the two and a half hours we were at Kid City. I haven't done Biology since Yr 10 in high school, which was ... 1986? I didn't do Biology for the last two years of high school, I did Physics and Chemistry because I thought I wanted to be a doctor and those were prerequisites for the  Medical course. Ended up doing Linguistics instead, so it didn't matter anyway.

I keep finding more things to worry about with going back to uni, the latest one being that the uni holidays don't coincide with the kids' school holidays. But I am going to push on and see how it goes.

One benefit of going to this particular uni is that it is less than 10 mins drive away. The downside is that it looks like a conglomeration of mismatched concrete boxes. My first tertiary institution, Sydney Uni, was/is a beautiful place; all lovely gothic stone with gargoyles like somewhere in England. I felt inspired just being there, like I was a part of history. Canberra Uni is just ugly. Oh well, I can balance that against 10 mins travel instead of the 90 mins I used to have in my picturesque youth.

Feeling a lot more cheerful today, and a lot less likely to bite someone's head off.

No comments:

Post a Comment