Sunday, January 8, 2012

3 pm slump

Monday:

I went to the gym this morning and did BodyPump for the first time in weeks. I used to look forward to it, now it just seems like work. And it is hard for me to get to the gym during school holidays. But I need strength training as well as cardio, so I will try to get to a class at least once a week.

I did ok in the class but my shoulder still troubles me quite a bit, it frustrates me that the shoulder holds me back in a lot of the exercises rather than just lack of muscle strength. I need to remind myself of how much better I am than this time last year when I was in a lot of pain all the time. It's a slower process than I would like, but I have improved a lot and it will heal eventually. Probably the most frustrating thing is that I still can't do up my own bra at the back.

I had a bit of a struggle with hunger pangs in the afternoon. I had eaten a reasonable amount of calories, but what I'd had wasn't particularly healthy. No vegetables all day, very low carb, low nutrition (like cruskits). It really makes a difference to the 3 pm slump! I had a big fruit salad for afternoon tea and some other less healthy snacks and managed to last until dinner without eating everything in the house. Then I had fish and salad for dinner and have stayed under my calorie limit for the day which is a real victory. I definitely need to make sure I have vegetables at lunch time.

My husband and daughter don't like fish so we don't have it often, and I am not that keen on it either, but lately I've been trying to have it occasionally and I just cook something else for them. My son loves fish. Tonight we had the nicest fish I've had for ages. It was barramundi (I just googled it to see if it is found outside Australia, apparently it is mainly around this area but is also known as Asian seabass or seaperch. It likes both salt and fresh water, and warm weather.), I just baked the fillets in the oven on a greaseproof sheet with slices of lemon on top. Really tender and delicious, I will certainly be cooking it again. Aiden loved it too. I generally struggle to know which fish to buy, because I don't like a "fishy" taste -- this was a good one.

photo by juanwei

No comments:

Post a Comment