Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Parenting skills

Wednesday:

A very healthy day. I made a sort-of fried rice for lunch with about half vegetables, cut up very small, and half brown rice. Labour intensive, but quite nice. Salad and lean lamb for dinner. Over an hour of exercise on the Kinect, at varying intensity.

In the afternoon I took the kids to "Let's Play", an indoor playground, for 2 1/2 hours. They had a great time and I was able to sit and read. Win win.

When I need a treat, I have a Toblerone "tiny" -- a mini chocolate fix for about 30 calories.

I watched a little bit of a show called "Fast Food Babies" tonight before I found it too frustrating that I couldn't smack the parents. They showed a 19-month-old toddler who had fast food at least five nights a week, unlimited access to a sweets cupboard, and up to six cans of cola a day. I think the mother had some kind of obsessive-compulsive disorder; she didn't like to cook because it was too messy, and spent all day every day cleaning the house. She was thin, her husband was the only overweight one in the family. It is scary to think about the child's future, on that diet.

I'm sure some people would think my kids have too much junk than is good for them -- none at all would be best, I've seen a forum where people were shocked that anyone would ever take their child to McDonald's -- but they also have lots of healthy food, they eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and we have take-away once a month or less. Soft drink is only for parties. I think there is big difference between that and take-away five nights a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment