Sunday, September 8, 2013

The freedom of no choice

later Sunday:

I've always struggled with breakfast. I used to not eat it at all, and later I had a lot of trouble finding something that was both healthy and digestible. Some people can get away with not eating breakfast, life is not one-size-fits-all, but I do much better if I do eat something. I've tried lots of things over the years and was never happy (I ate and loved Cruskits with butter and vegemite for years, but they are basically high-GI biscuits with fat and salt on top - not a healthy way to start the day).

The CSIRO plan calls for a serve of high fibre cereal each day. You can argue for or against packaged cereal, but it is in this diet. Doesn't have to be for breakfast, I suppose (I quite like cereal for supper) but that is the logical place to fit it into the plan. So I just decided to have Sustain each morning. I used to eat it, and my husband still does, it is a reasonably healthy option. Having a million choices wasn't working for me, so I just gave up that choice and ate it each day. And it was a relief! I eat it and get my fibre intake and it's filling and then it's done with and I don't have to worry about it.

I still spend a lot of time planning the food for the rest of the day, making sure it's tasty and balanced and VARIED, but at least I don't have to stress first thing in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment