Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The magic sleeping tissue

Wednesday:

I've been sleeping really badly for at least a week. Taking a long time to get to sleep, waking during the night, waking very early and not being able to get back to sleep. Leaving me an exhausted wreck, you may have noticed several mentions of afternoon naps lately. But last night the magic sleeping tissue wafted me to a great night's sleep.

Now you may argue that the heat has been interrupting my sleep (although I think the disruption started before it got really hot) and that yesterday's storm followed by a cool front helped me sleep. I beg to differ. I am finally realising the power of the tissue.

A few times in the past when I've had a bad cold I've ended up falling asleep with a tissue bunched in one exhausted hand (generally a clean tissue, at the ready). Somehow I have then slept soundly through the night despite coughs and mucus, and woken with the tissue still securely held like a soft little talisman.

Last night I didn't have a cold, but had a drink from my bedside cup of water and spilled a few drops. I wiped my pillow and somehow went to sleep still holding the tissue. And slept deeply and well for the first time in a week.

I'm kind of joking, but maybe I do get some kind of psychological benefit from holding something through the night, like a kid's security blanket. Something to look after through the night, while at the same time it looks after me.

45 mins walking and 45 mins high intensity dancing this morning, which I think is a good effort on a day I also had my son's school assembly (I had to go because Kindergarten was hosting today) and did some editing work.

I wrote to the dietitian at the diabetes clinic about my consistently low blood sugar and how I was eating less carbs that she had originally suggested and she said both were fine. So I don't need to worry about that as long as I stay consistent and feel okay. She thought I would probably get hungry between meals and need snacks, and I do, but that is fine too.

When I logged in today I found ads on my blog list that covered up things I wanted to read, and then when I looked at Monday's post it had random words linking to advertisements! Arg! I'm not sure what to do about it. But then I read someone else's blog and they had the same thing, so hopefully there will be huge outcry and it will be stopped and the spamming advertisers will all be jailed with the cockroaches and the rats and the malarial mosquitos.

photo by ajalfaro

1 comment: