Friday, May 17, 2013

Carbohydrate binge and a cold

Saturday:

Huge carb cravings yesterday. Maybe because it was a really cold day, maybe because I've been reading a book about how bad carbs are for me (which of course made me think about them), partly because I scratched my eyeball first thing in the morning and spent the next four hours with a very sore eye and was squinting and blinking with tears running down my face, and now I think maybe because I was coming down with a cold.

For whatever reason/s, I spent the whole day fighting off cravings to eat sugary carbohydrates. Then in the evening (straight after dinner, when I wasn't even hungry) I caved and ate two slices of bread slathered in butter, some chocolate, and then half a bag of Doritos and a cider.

I spent the evening exhausted and with a headache, which I thought at the time could be because of my binge, but woke this morning with a sore throat and feeling generally yuck and I think I have a cold. I was hoping I'd feel better once I'd been up for a while, but I'm definitely getting worse. We had big plans for this weekend but I think I'm going to have to stay home which is a bummer. I could drag myself around, but I worry about passing on germs to my aging mother and my baby niece, amongst others. The thought of spending hours in the car, sleeping on a horrible futon, and being sociable all weekend also just sounds like a nightmare. Will have to postpone. I need my soft bed and my undemanding television. And I need to get well by Monday! I'm not taking a sick day on my first day of work. (You can see I care a lot less about infecting my new colleagues than my family.)

1 comment:

  1. Natalie! Whats up! i know exactly where you are coming from. It's getting cold inmy part of the world, and I have been trying to figure out why I normally head to the heavy carbs when it is cold...pastas, bread, rice, potatoes. Why do we instinctivly want to chow down on heavy carbs when it gets cold. I will be fine the whole day, but once I get home, and relax and the sun sets and it gets cooler I get a huge craving for those bad carbs. Is there any reason for this? Anyhoo, just wanted to let you know you are not alone! Hope you are feeling better now and goodluck with the new job!

    ReplyDelete