Sunday, August 7, 2016

Rio

Sunday:

Has anyone outside of Australia heard of Peter Allen? You might have, he married Liza Minnelli, Judy Garland's daughter. He was an ... exuberant ... singer. One of his biggest hits goes:

When my baby, when my baby smiles at me I go to Rio,
de Janeiro, my-oh me-oh...

He sang it while shaking maracas and wriggling his fluoro-ruffled hips. The Rio Olympics always makes me think of that. Since we are over the other side of the world, as usual most of the events are during our night-time but there is repeat coverage all day. I love the Olympics.

My blood sugar levels have been high all weekend, much higher than normal for what I was eating. I don't usually test myself very often but I could feel a wrongness yesterday after breakfast (two slices of low-GI toast with cheese) so I've been checking after each meal and they are unacceptably high. Jasmine has a cold, so I assume I'm fighting off germs and that is messing my blood sugar levels around. I'm not really worried, having had a glucose tolerance test recently which showed I'm still in the pre-diabetes range but improved from the time before. It's interesting that the current "official" advice even for diabetics is to still eat plenty of carbs (like the equivalent of four slices of toast at once) and just take insulin when the carbs make your blood sugar levels shoot up! Take the poison and the antidote at the same time and you'll be fine. Except that you won't be fine for long. You have to keep taking more and more antidote until even that no longer works and you go blind and have your feet amputated. But what can you do, right? It's not like they could recommend you eat less carbs...

I have a leg of lamb roasting in the oven for dinner. Mmmm, smells delicious. But I'll go easy on the roast potato.


No comments:

Post a Comment