Sunday, October 13, 2013

Defining success

Monday:

I was thinking this morning about what I want to achieve from doing 30 days of clean eating; and not just unprocessed but cutting out things a lot of people think are healthy and even essential - dairy and grains and legumes. The Whole30 is close to a paleo diet, although the authors stress that they base the rules on health not history - they don't care what cavemen ate, they care what the science says is good for humans now. Of course their science is in direct opposition to many other diet gurus, and the government's diet guidelines in both Australia and America which heavily push dairy and grains.

I figured since everyone tells me a different thing, I can only know what is best for me by experimenting on myself. It is only for 30 days. (The Whole9 guidelines relax a bit after the 30 days, you can start reintroducing things and see if they make you feel worse again.)

So how will I know if this nutritional plan is good for me?

It is not specifically a weight-loss diet, but most people do lose weight and I certainly hope to. How much in 30 days? I really don't know.

The diet is supposed to help inflammation issues and general health including insulin resistance. I will be happy if my joint pain is noticeably lessened, the dark circles under my eyes lighten, my sleep gets better, I have more energy, and/or my insulin resistance improves.

No comments:

Post a Comment