Thursday, January 28, 2016

Back at school

Thursday:

My little girl's first day of High School!
Here High School is years 7-12. She hopped on the bus all excited. The High School is on the same grounds as the Primary she went to at the end of last year, and they've had lots of visits over to the big school, so she was confident. Apparently they spent most of the first day working out their timetables and getting lectures on what is expected of them.

I walked Aiden up to his first day of Yr 4 at his school, not that he needed me either, which meant he had to ride his bike very slowly! But I wanted to be there on the first day just in case. And I got in my walk for the day.

Then it was off shopping at the big Miranda centre. I had to get a few more school things, and presents for Jasmine, replace a Christmas present I got for Ping that wasn't the right one, and also do the grocery shopping. I did over 10,000 steps and was exhausted by the end! Miranda is a bit tricky to get around because it has been enlarged several times and not all the elevators and escalators go to all floors - you have to go up in one elevator, get out and walk a while, then up again, then back to where you actually wanted to be. And the lifts are so slow! I often walk out into the carpark and up the ramp, but that is also only good for one level. It's big and sprawling and I still don't know where everything is. I got most of what I wanted but was too tired to do a proper grocery shop, I just grabbed some steaks and salad ingredients and came home. I had half an hour before the kids got home so I lay on the bed but my next door neighbour was mowing his lawn not far from my window! I drifted off to sleep anyway, somehow.

For breakfast today I had leftover roast beef, onion, mixed vegetables, and a cucumber.

Ping couldn't make lunch after all, but I needed to get something while I was out. I stayed away from the food court and went to the restaurant area. I did a lap, looking at the menus they post at the door, but couldn't really find anything suitable. You don't realise how much everything is based on carbs and fat until you are trying to minimise them! I ended up in a rather pricey Asian restaurant, chicken and cashews. Unfortunately it had no vegetables except a couple of pieces of shallot. I bit into one thing, thinking it was a bamboo shoot, but it turned out to be a huge square of ginger! Yuck. Had to spit it out. I quite like it as a flavouring, but not a mouthful. I ate about 2/3 of this plate. I have no idea how many calories this would be. To track it, I copied a frozen chicken and cashews meal, and added sugar and fat.

Reviving cup of tea and an apple at home. Still no sugar in my tea, fourth day in a row which must be something of a record.

Steak and salad for dinner. The plate is so messy because I shared a steak with Jasmine, and cut it on my plate.

I don't really know how I did for calories today with the unknown lunch, but certainly the rest of the day was on point. A lot of meat though! I've been drinking more lately but not today, didn't want to run to the bathroom every 20 minutes (and find one first!) while out shopping.

6 comments:

  1. Our high school starts at 9th and ends at 12th. Middle school was 6-8, and elem. is K-5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have middle school here, just K-6 and 7-12. At least most places.

      Delete
  2. Yay! School is back in! Good luck kiddies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the mum of a high schooler now! She looks so sweet in her school outfit and Aiden is just adorable on his bike. They look quite happy in the pics, they must like school. I wish them both a wonderful school year.

    The Miranda Centre sounds huge! I used to love places like that but am currently far too out of shape to walk about so much. Dodgy joints ruining all the fun.

    I think you chose wisely for the meal and don't think you probably went over your calorie allotment for the day. I too would have been shocked to have gotten a mouthful of ginger like that. I only like ginger in cookie form!

    Enjoy your down time while the children are in school. I hope you get a lot of writing and resting done!

    You are doing much better with your tea than I am. I still need to add artificial sweetener to mine or just cannot get it down. I have finally eliminated diet sodas so some small progress is being made.

    Mollie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, gingerbread men... Ground ginger in baking seems very different to a big chunk in a stir fry.

      Congratulations on giving up diet sodas! I never liked diet, always tasted chemical yucky to me. But I used to drink "real" coke a lot to get me through the day.

      Delete