Saturday, January 2, 2016

No tolerance for unhealthy food

Saturday:

I hate mornings. Mornings suck.

I think I'm starting to feel the effects of going on a low-carb low-sugar diet. Tired and headachy, a bit irritable, a bit melancholy. I know I'll get used to it if I push on, and I am still having some carbs and even sugar (a little bit in my tea) so it isn't cold turkey. Where does that phrase come from, I wonder? Stopping something "going cold turkey"? I'll have to look it up.

I don't have any energy or motivation for work or fun. I hope this phase ends soon.

Cheesy broccoli omelette for breakfast was pretty nice, but ended up way more calories than I expected.

Always track before eating! It makes the rest of the day a bit tricky with so much of the calorie budget gone. But I pulled it back with a mostly-salad lunch (with a small steak).

In the morning I crawled back into bed for a while then I forced myself to get up and we walked to the library before it closed at noon. 30 minute there and back. Tim had to hold my hand and pull me up the hill! Honestly, it felt like my muscles were completely out of energy.

In the afternoon I read my Mediterranean recipe library book, watched TV, played computer games with the family. Tim made butter chicken for dinner and I had a small portion, quinoa instead of fluffy white rice, and steamed vegetables. Then a bit later ate some chocolate. And felt sick almost immediately. Where has my tolerance for unhealthy food gone? It's like my body is rebelling. I suppose that is a good thing, except I don't feel sick until after. I need to start feeling ill as I reach for it so I don't eat it! Or it needs to taste horrible. Actually the chocolate didn't taste as yummy as usual...

Still a reasonable calorie count today, 30 min exercise, most of my water (I should still achieve that before bedtime).

4 comments:

  1. Hello there and all good wishes for 2016.
    Love the sound of that cheesy broccoli omelette ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, it was pretty yummy. I'm the only person in my house who really likes broccoli, but it's one of my favourite vegetables.

      Delete
  2. Hi. I'll be joining you in the low carb doldrums tomorrow. :}

    You've probably already looked it up, but if not--the phrase "going cold turkey" came from the addiction treatment world. When someone stopped using their drug of choice abruptly, not gradually cutting down--just quitting, they eased their withdrawal symptoms by eating lots of turkey. Usually cold because they were too wrecked to bother heating it up. The turkey helped because it is loaded with tryptophan.

    I made turkey carcass soup to use next week to ease my own withdrawal. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete