Tuesday, January 5, 2016

This and that

Tuesday:

I have to keep reminding myself that it is that time of the month where life seems a bit more difficult and everyone is annoying, and that it is not a good day to make a decision like giving up on my diet and eating all the things, or leaving my family and going to live on a pristine island somewhere.

In the spirit of focusing on the good in life, our garbage was collected today! Both general rubbish (weekly collection) and recycling (fortnightly). This is a big deal at the moment. We've been behind on recycling since we moved, even with that trip to the waste management centre. And we've been way behind on kitchen waste since Christmas - far more important as it gets smelly. We asked at Christmas if anyone could take some home to put in their own bin, but everyone said theirs was full, which annoyed me quite a bit because we were the ones hosting two enormous meals with all the associated waste. No one would help. (I let my brother-in-law off the hook because I knew they forgot to put their bin out one week and were as overflowing as we were.) Each week since as soon as the bin is emptied on Tuesday morning we can put in all the extra bags we have still in the house - and it's half full again straight away. Back in Canberra we would put any extra bags in our friendly neighbour's bin, he was a single elderly guy who always had space, but I don't know our neighbours here yet. Anyway, both bins were emptied this morning and maybe we'll catch up eventually.

Second good thing, I have suddenly switched from waking around 5am to sleeping until around 7! I don't know if it's the cool rainy weather, or my new healthy diet, or what. It's not exercise because I haven't the past few days. But it's lovely!

Leftover chicken and a cucumber for breakfast. Home made roasted tomato soup (two bowls) with bread and butter for lunch.

A Pink Lady apple in the afternoon with my cup of tea.

Lemon roast chicken with potato, broccolini, onion, tomato and cucumber for dinner.
My calories were just about perfect for the day and I was full - or at least I wasn't hungry - but I just wanted something more... So I had some chocolate. I wish chocolate wasn't so high calorie! But I still did ok. And it gave me that truly satisfied feeling.

It was pouring rain again, some parts of my city are having flooding problems, so I didn't want to go out. In the morning we watched the Big Hero 6 movie that Aiden got for Christmas. Great movie! I really meant to exercise this afternoon but I had a nap instead while the kids did an active Xbox game. I still don't have a lot of energy. I know I need to do something, even if small, anyway. But it's so much easier not to!

6 comments:

  1. All your meals look so delicious! And how nice about that extra sleep. Always good for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha, I try to make my food varied and delicious as well as healthy or I won't stick to it. I'm not one of those people who can eat plain salmon and rice every day.

      Delete
  2. When you have chocolate is it the higher cocoa content one say the 85% variety ... these do not have as much sugar content, and are great just to enjoy a square!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to say yes... I usually buy about 70% (85% is a bit too bitter for me) but on this occasion it was a milk chocolate teddy bear I was given for Christmas so had no redeeming qualities!

      Delete
  3. We have recycle truck come twice a month as well. We used to have a weekly bin that was the size of a large box. Now we have a big trash-can sized container

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to generate a lot of rubbish when the kids are home all day, but especially around Christmas!

      Delete